Lecture Capture using Panopto
We have updated our version of Panopto
Important Point: Please keep up to date by reviewing our Panopto updates section.
Why should I use Lecture/Live Event Capture?
- It gives the students the ability to review your lecture at a later date, which is particularly useful for revision purposes.
- It gives you the ability to time-shift your teaching activities or record content for use outside of the traditional lecture room.
- It cuts down on the number of post-lecture queries that students have.
- It has no effect detrimental on attendance.
- It enhances the student experience.
- It is nearly as easy as running PowerPoint or a web browser.
You can view some Customer Videos and Case Study examples from Panopto’s own site.
Setting up your module to use Panopto
To ensure that you have access to the correct folders from the desktop recorder software YOU MUST first access the software from within your Unilearn Module.
Accessing the Recorder Software
All managed desktops will provide you with access to this software as standard.
You can also download a copy of the recorder onto a personal computer directly from Blackboard via the Create option.
To find the download options go to Communication and Tools > Panopto Content
and select the Create button then Record a new session
Please ensure that your content is compliant with copyright legislation. If you have any third-party content in your material you may need permission from the copyright owner to include it.
Guidance is available on the University’s Copyright webpages.
Panopto Setup-How do I record my lecture?
View and record via mobile devices
You can view and make recordings on both iOS and Android devices. Find out more using the links below:
Accessing Panopto Recordings
Although primarily access to recordings is via Blackboard, as a “walled garden”, it is under your control to provide other levels of access. For example, recordings can be made completely open to the public or just available to a specific set of named users. Recordings can be delivered to any desktop computer through an internet connection, to mobile devices, and offline on physical media, again all under user control.
Managing your Panopto recordings.
Editing your Panopto recordings.
Locating and positioning you recordings in your Blackboard modules .
Enabling students to make Panopto recordings
Each student enrolled on the module can access an Assignment folder to make a recording/upload a recording. The tutor will be able to view all recordings made by all students in the Assignment folder. However, each student can only view the recordings they have made personally.
More assessment is avaiable with Quizzing
Live webcasting and note taking.
Panopto has the ability to webcast your lectures live and allow student to hold a online discussion as the lecture is broadcast. It also allows time stamped note taking during the session.
- Viewers can take public or private notes during the broadcast to refer back to at a later time. Questions, comments, and notes are stored by the server for review at a later time, even after the broadcast has ended
- The link created to view the live webcast stores a recording of the webcast with the notes section individualised for the logged in student.